Update: July 15, 2020: We have updated the article to show that Peacock is now widely available in the US. We also tell you how to get the Peacock Android app since a search of the Google Play Store does not currently show it in the search results.
The video streaming service boom continues. NBCUniversal, owned by Comcast, has fully launched its new streaming service, which is called Peacock.
So what does the Peacock steaming service bring to the table, and will it be able to stand out from the already crowded list of premium video streaming services? Hereâ€™s everything we know so far about Peacock.
What is Peacock?
As we mentioned, Peacock is the new premium video streaming service run by NBCUniversal. The Comcast-owned media company announced plans to launch a streaming service a number of months ago. It is the home for classic and recent shows from NBCUniversalâ€™s various broadcast and cable networks, along with films from Universal Pictures, Dreamworks Animation, and Focus Features. In addition, Peacock will launch a number of exclusive new TV shows and movies for the service, which will include reboots of a number of well-known properties.
Peacock will be led by Matt Strauss, who previously was the head of Comcastâ€™s Xfinity cable products.
Why did NBCUniversal call their streaming service Peacock?
Using the name Peacock as the label for the NBCUniversal streaming service is a nod to the early days of television. As the 1960s began, most TV shows were still broadcast in black and white. However, the NBC TV network was, at the time, owned by the electronics product maker RCA, and it wanted consumers to purchase its new color televisions. To encourage this, Forward.com reports that RCA commissioned a new NBC logo that would play in front of its shows, showing a stylized peacock that showed off all of the primary and secondary colors in its â€œfeathersâ€�.
The logo for the new Peacock streaming service still has the same colors featured in the old NBC logo as dots on the right side.
Availability and launch date
Peacock is now widely available in the US.
Platforms and devices
So far, NBCUniversal has revealed that for the July 15 launch, Peacock will be available on iOS and Android mobile devices. It will also be available on Android TV smart televisions and set-top boxes, Apple TV boxes, and Microsoftâ€™s Xbox One game console. The app will also be available on select Vizio SmartCast TVs and LG Smart TVs and will be supported on Chromecast dongles and TVs. The week of July 20, a Peacock app will launch on Sonyâ€™s Playstation 4 game console.
At the time of this writing, there are currently no plans to launch Peacock apps for the popular Roku and Amazon Fire TV set-top boxes, sticks and smart TVs. We will update this post when more platform information is revealed.
Direct link to Peacock Android app
At the time of this writing (July 15) the Peacock app for Android cannot be found by searching for it in the Google Play Store. The good news for Android users is that itâ€™s there, but you have to download it via a direct link. That link is available below:
There are two tiers of Peacock subscriptions. The first one, Peacock Free, will be completely free to access, with ads. The other, Peacock Premium, will have more content but will have a price tag for most customers.
Peacock Free: The free, ad-supported versions of the service give subscribers over 13,000 hours of programming. Current freshmen shows will have their new episodes available to watch the next day after they are broadcast on Peacock. This tier will also have complete classic TV series to watch, along with a selection of popular movies. The tier will include curated daily news and sports programming including the Olympics, and some Spanish-language content. The free tier gives subscribers a few episodes of Peacock original shows to watch.
Peacock Premium: This tier has over 20,000 hours of content for subscribers. Subscribers get access to all Peacock exclusive shows, along with more sports coverage and next-day access to current seasons of returning broadcast series. Fans of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, and Late Night with Seth Myers, can watch new episodes of those shows via Peacock at 8 pm ET and 9 pm ET, respectively. Thatâ€™s a few hours before those episodes debut on NBC.
Peacock Premium normally costs $4.99 a month, with ads. However, if you are a Comcast and Cox cable subscriber, you get the ad-supported Peacock Premium for free. If they want to get rid of the ads for most shows, those users can spend $5 a month. Everyone else can get the ad-free version of Peacock Premium for $9.99.
Android and Android TV users will be able to access the ad-based version of Peacock Premium for free from the launch date of July 15 to October 15.
Does the service support 4K streaming video?
Unfortunately, Peacock does not yet support streaming its TV shows or movies in 4K resolution. A post in its Help Center page hints that support may be added in the future.
How many concurrent streams does the service support?
Peacock supports up to three concurrent streams at once on one account.
What classic TV shows are on the service?
In terms of TV shows, it will be the new exclusive streaming home for the US version of The Office. Currently, all nine seasons of the workplace sitcom are available on Netflix, where it has become the most popular TV series on any streaming service, according to NBCUniversal. However, The Office wonâ€™t make its move to Peacock until January 2021.
The new service is the home for another highly popular classic workplace sitcom, Parks and Recreation. Itâ€™s currently available to stream on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, but all of its episodes will move exclusively to Peacock, starting in October 2020.
Other classic and more recent TV shows that are available on the service include:
- 30 Rock
- Bates Motel
- Battlestar Galactica
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine
- Chicago Fire
- Chicago P.D.
- Chicago Med
- Chrisley Knows Best
- Covert Affairs
- Downton Abbey
- Everyone Loves Raymond
- Friday Night Lights
- The George Lopez Show
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians
- King Of Queens
- Law and Order
- Law and Order: SVU
- Law and Order: Criminal Intent
- Marriedâ€¦With Children
- Royal Pains
- Saturday Night Live
- The Real Housewives franchise
- Top Chef
- Two and a Half Men
- Will & Grace
In addition, new episodes of two of NBCâ€™s late night talk shows, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and Late Night with Seth Myers, will be streamed on Peacock a few hours before they are broadcast on NBC. The Tonight Show episodes will drop at 8 pm Eastern time each night, while Late Night will drop at 9 pm Eastern.
What movies will be shown on Peacock?
The service is also the streaming home to a ton of classic and recent feature films from Universal Pictures and Focus Features. They will include movies in the highly popular Bourne, Fast and Furious, and Despicable Me franchises. Other movies that will be shown on the service will include:
- American Pie
- Knocked Up
- Meet the Parents
- Meet the Fockers
- A Beautiful Mind
- Back to the Future
- Brokeback Mountain
- Dallas Buyers Club
- Do the Right Thing
- Erin Brockovich
- E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
- Field of Dreams
- Mamma Mia!
- The Breakfast Club
In addition, the Peacock streaming service is the home to over 3,000 hours of content from NBCUniversalâ€™s Spanish language cable TV network, Telemundo, including shows like 100 Dias Para Volver, Betty in NY, El BarÃ³n and Preso No. 1.
What exclusive TV shows and movies will be streamed on Peacock?
NBCUniversal has announced plans for quite a few original TV shows that will make their debuts exclusively for Peacock.
On July 15, the service dropped several exclusive shows and movies for the national launch of Peacock:
- Brave New World â€“ A series based on the classic sci-fi novel from Aldous Huxley, and starring Alden Ehrenreich and Demi Moore.
- Intelligence â€“ A UK comedy import starring Friendsâ€™ David Schwimmer as an NSA agent who is the US liaison to the UK cyber crimes unit.
- The Capture â€“ This is another UK import. Itâ€™s a crime drama about a soldier who gets accused of a murder
- Psych 2: Lassie Come Home â€“ This is the second TV movie based on the classic comedy-mystery series about a man who pretends to be a psychic to help solve crimes.
- Curious George â€“ An animated series based on the classic childrenâ€™s books about a curious monkey named George.
- Whereâ€™s Waldo â€“ Another animated series, once again based on classic childrenâ€™s books about finding a man named Waldo.
- Cleopatra in Space â€“ An animated series about the previously untold teenage stories of the great Egyptian leader Cleopatra.
- In Deep With Ryan Lochte â€“ A reality series about the former US Olympic swimmer who is trying to get back on the Olympic team.
- Lost Speedways With Dale Earnhardt Jr. â€“ The former NASCAR racer is the host of this series that looks at forgotten and abandoned speedways.
The future of Peacock will include new reboots of at least three classic TV shows:
- Battlestar Galactica â€“ This would the second reboot for the 1978 space-based sci-fi TV show. Sam Esmail, who created the acclaimed TV series Mr. Robot, will be in charge of this new series.
- Saved By The Bell â€“ The teen comedy series will get a sequel-style reboot, and will feature original cast members Elizabeth Berkley and Mario Lopez.
- Punky Brewster â€“ Hereâ€™s another sequel-style reboot, this one featuring Soleil Moon Frye reprising her role as a grown-up version of her orphan kid character from the original sitcom.
In addition, A.P. Bio, which ran for two seasons on NBC, will return for a third season exclusively on Peacock. Also, yet another (currently unnamed) spin-off of the Real Housewives reality show franchise will be streamed as an exclusive original for the service.Â
Upcoming original shows
Peacock will also be the home for a number of original TV shows as well:
- Departure â€“ This series stars Â Christopher Plummer, as he investigates the mysterious disappearance of a passenger plane.
- Dr. Death â€“Â A drama based on the popular true-crime podcast. It will star Jamie Dornan, Alec Baldwin, and Christian Slater.
- One of Us is Lying â€“ A series based on the best-selling young-adult mystery novel.
- Angelyne â€“Â A limited series starring Emmy Rossum based on the true story of the woman featured on a long-standing billboard in Hollywood.
- Rutherford Falls â€“ A comedy co-created by The Good Place creator Mike Schuur.
- Straight Talk â€“ A comedy co-created by Rashida Jones and Jada Pinkett Smith.
- Armas de Mujer â€“ A new Spanish-language dramedy series from the makers of La Reina del Sur.
- Who Wrote That â€“ A docuseries centering on the cast and crew of the NBC variety series Saturday Night Live.
- Girls5Eva â€“ Produced by Tina Fey, this comedy is about a fictional 90s girl group that reunites for one more chance at glory.
In addition, Peacock will also be the home for two upcoming untitled talk shows. One will be run by The Tonight Showâ€™s Jimmy Fallon, while the other will be a weekly talk show hosted by Amber Ruffin, a writer and performer for Late Night with Seth Myers.
Finally, Universal Pictures and DreamWorks Animation will both develop original films and series that will be streamed exclusively via Peacock.
What sports and news content will be available?
NBC is the home of the 2021 Summer Olympics in Japan. When the games finally begin after a yearâ€™s delay, Peacock will be ready with tons of coverage:
- Live coverage of both the Opening and Closing ceremonies from Tokyo before they are shown on NBC.
- Three exclusive shows: Tokyo Live, with live coverage of a major Olympic event; Tokyo Daily Digest, with mid-day highlights, and Tokyo Tonight, which will complement NBCâ€™s nightly shows.
- The Tokyo Paralympics will also be shown on Peacock with over 1,000 of content.
Soccer fans can also look forward to watching over 2,000 hours of Premier League games, including many games that are not shown on regular TV.
Could The Office get a reboot via Peacock?
The service will get the right to stream the back catalog of episodes from the US version of The Office in January 2021. However, the continued popularity of the show has caused many to speculate that Peacock could also be the home to a full-fledged reboot of the series with all-new episodes. In a chat with The Hollywood Reporter, Â Bonnie Hammer, the Chairman of Direct-to-Consumer and Digital Enterprises for NBCUniversal, stated, â€œIt is my hope and goal that we do an Office rebootâ€�, and added, â€œIt is my hope that we can figure what that great reboot would be. We are having conversations.â€�
If an Office reboot does debut on Peacock, it likely wonâ€™t involve its original star Steve Carell, who has stated on a number of occasions that he is not interested in revisiting his character of Dunder-Mifflin manager Michael Scott. Carell can be seen in the first season of The Morning Show, one of the debut TV series on the Apple TV Plus streaming service. He currently stars in another workplace comedy series, Space Force, which is now on Netflix.
Will Peacock be successful?
Thereâ€™s no doubt that NBCUniversal has a lot of popular library content that it can use to fill out Peacock in the short term, and its plans for original content sound pretty nice on the surface, especially the new version of Battlestar Galactica. Having The Office as a streaming exclusive in January 2021 is also a feather in its cap. However, the simple fact is that there are a ton of already established streaming services up and running. It remains to be seen if consumers will have the money to pay for all of them, or if a few will have to go by the wayside. If that happens, Peacock could be one of those casualties.
Having said that, if NBCUniversal can indeed reboot The Office with a lot of its original cast and crew as an exclusive for Peacock, it could generate enough subscriptions for the service to keep the lights on.
Will you be signing up for Peacock now, or will you wait until The Office debuts in 2021?