Your tech news digest, by way of theÂ DGiT Daily tech newsletter, for Monday, 24 August 2020.
1. First real image of the Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G
A bunch of leaks hit Reddit over the weekend, giving us insight into the upcoming Google Pixel phones: the Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5.
The first leak was our first real-world look at the devices, the now-deleted image (curiously posted by a now-deleted user) showing the Pixel 5 on the left and the larger Pixel 4a 5G on the right:
- So, what do we make of this? Both devices look like they have an extra camera in the camera housing, possibly an ultra-wide snapper.
- That makes sense for the Pixel 5, offering a progression in capabilities.
- It seems like a bonus for the Pixel 4a 5G, given the template of the single-shooter Pixel 4a already.,
- Also, the Pixel 4a 5G is big! It looks like itâ€™ll be a considerably larger screen over the Pixel 5 (left).
- A screenshot from the Pixel 5, if that is what it is, gave us some battery information, notably a 4,000mAh battery. Iâ€™ve cropped it down to just the information:
- 4,000mAh! Thatâ€™s much bigger than the previous Pixels, and also exactly what is needed given how problematic Pixel 4 battery life could be.
- Then the final detail is a bunch of specs. No images of these details were provided, but hereâ€™s what was posted.
- Pixel 4a 5G: Snapdragon 765G, 6GB RAM, 3800mAh battery, headphone jack, 60 Hz display.
- Pixel 5: Snapdragon 765G, 8GB RAM, 4000mAh battery, no headphone jack, 90Hz display.
- More details here.
- One thing is a little odd: the bigger phone has a smaller battery, which would go against usual conventions of a bigger device allowing for a bigger battery.
- The credibility here is unknown, but the details do align with both expectations and hopes for the coming Pixel lineup. The Pixel 4a is being held up as the best phone under $400 â€” even against the iPhone SE â€” and making the higher-end versions much more bulletproof around likely battery life, RAM, and better cameras looks like a win.
- Final pricing, specs, and release date, please Google!
2.Â The best phone charging accessories: The ultimate buyerâ€™s guide. No, really, at 5,500 words this is everything known to mankind about charging your phone (Android Authority).
3. Samsung has raised the bar for Android updates: Android manufacturers have all been put on notice (Android Authority).
4. We asked, you told us: AA readers prefer camera quality over quantity: High-quality, single-lens cameras are still the way to go (Android Authority).
5. Super-sized smartphones: Looking back at the â€˜chonkiestâ€™ phones ever made: Big screens havenâ€™t always been as popular in smartphone design as they are now.
6. Hey Apple, how about a MacBook SE? (TechCrunch).
7. WSJ: Mark Zuckerberg used a private Trump meeting to hurt TikTok (Engadget).
8. Flight sticks are selling out after the release of Microsoft Flight Simulator (The Verge).
9. DC FanDome: The biggest news, trailers, and reveals out of the minicon (Polygon).
10. Meet the star witness: Your smart speaker. Law enforcement is wising up on getting evidence from these devices, which can include internet queries, food orders, and overheard conversations (Wired).
11. Tesla thwarts performance hacks that freely unlock power and features for its electric cars (Engadget).
12. Solar panels are starting to die, leaving behind e-waste that most of the world doesnâ€™t have a plan for dealing with (Grist).
13. â€œWhat are some free/low-cost resources college students should know about?â€� Huh, thereâ€™s open-source textbooks now! (r/askreddit).