Huawei has been through a ton of challenges since it was subjected to US sanctions back in May 2019, as software, component supplies, and even its in-house chip capabilities were affected by the US move.
The biggest effect from a consumer point of view is probably the lack of Google support, as the US trade ban means that new Huawei devices canâ€™t run Google Mobile Services.
Itâ€™s been almost two years since the trade ban, but that got us wondering whether Android Authority readers would buy a Huawei phone again if Google support returned to the companyâ€™s devices. Or do enthusiasts have second thoughts? Hereâ€™s how you voted.
Would you buy a Huawei phone again if GMS returned?
We posted the poll on January 27, 2021, and a grand total of 11,195 votes were cast as of writing. The results clearly show that the vast majority of respondents (86.9%) are willing to buy a Huawei phone again if the company regained Google support.
Itâ€™s easy to see why voters would buy a Huawei device again if things change, as the companyâ€™s last few Google-free flagship phones have generally delivered fantastic hardware. In fact, our own Ryan-Thomas Shaw called the Mate 40 Pro a contender for best all-round smartphone of 2020 when it came to hardware, but bemoaned the lack of Google support.
Furthermore, fellow reviewer Oliver Cragg said the P40 Pro Plus was a â€œbrilliant piece of engineering,â€� while stopping short of recommending the device due to (you guessed it) the lack of Google support. And the device beat Samsung by offering a 3x and 10x camera combo first.
A grand total of 13.1% of respondents said that they wouldnâ€™t buy a Huawei phone even if Google came back to the table. Voters cited everything from Huaweiâ€™s approach to developers, the pending introduction of HarmonyOS, and the firmâ€™s Chinese trappings as a reason to avoid the brand.
- PhoenixWitti: Iâ€™ve said, since the beginning of the sanctions against them, that the only way I would buy a Huawei phone is if they PERMANENTLY gave up Google support.
- Kevin Hoang: Iâ€™d rather wait for them to release their official OS on the up coming p50.
- Faisal Shahzad: iâ€™ll still buy Huawei phones if it doesnt support google play services
- SanBlarnoi: As long as i cant put a custom rom on the device when i want to (e.g. no more updates from huawei), its on my ignore-list.
- DigitalBenny: I have a Mate 20 Pro (Last Mate to have GMS) still going strong, but if a new Mate was released with GMS Iâ€™d buy it in a heartbeat.
- Santoren: No because Huawei is a shady company with too many ties to the CCP.
- Wongwatt: Iâ€™d buy a P40 Pro Plus tomorrow if it had official Google support.
- veesonic: We never had any Huawei flagships here in America but if we did Iâ€™d be willing to give them a try.
Thanks for voting in our poll and for leaving comments, we really appreciate it. What do you make of the topic and results? Leave a comment below!