When we talk about smartphone cameras, about 90% of those discussions revolve around photo-taking capabilities, not video. There are a few reasons for that: photos are easier to take than video, theyâ€™re easier to share, and not every situation requires a video to be captured. Also, companies spend most of their resources improving photography features in their smartphones as opposed to adding more video features.
I asked you last week how often you record video on your smartphone. Out of over 22,000 total votes across the website, Twitter, and YouTube, one thing is excruciatingly clear: recording video is not a priority with smartphone users.
How often do you record video on your smartphone?
A total of 70.2% ofÂ Android Authority readers said they â€œvery rarely or neverâ€� record video on their smartphones. This is where I fall, too. I really canâ€™t tell you the last time I recorded video on a smartphone outside of a review.
At a very distant second, 23.55% of voters said they rarely record video, maybe one to two times a week. Finally, just 6.25% of voters said they record video often, nearly every day.
Feel free to take a look at how different readers voted on Twitter vs YouTube, but the results really arenâ€™t that different from one another. Just about every poll showed roughly 70% of all voters rarely record video.
Hereâ€™s what you had to say
Here are some of the best comments from last weekâ€™s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- Ivelin Ognyanov: Itâ€™s quite simple really and down to: do you have kids? 🙂
- Yakubu Tukur: Most people that I know insisted on best camera phones not because of taking videos but because of the picture quality.
- Drake Dodson: It takes a pretty special occasion for me to record video (other than maybe a Snapchat) â€¦ Like maybe once every 3 or 4 months.
- Garrett Cooper: I was very rarely until we had our daughter. Now itâ€™s a few times a week.
- Im one of the few I suppose that likes recording random videos. I typically do it a couple times a week with vlogs or showing random things im working on
- Â Pets and kids? I think thatâ€™s mainly why many record videos on their phones? Not many of us are vloggers. Iâ€™d say young kids and teens are really heavy with video recording? Adults with jobs? Weâ€™re busy? For me I think the kids and pet thing extends to snapping still images too. Thatâ€™s about it. Vacations are another thing but how often can most of us take vacations?
- I use my S20 Ultra for video, an of the time. In fact, I use it professionally to co-host a podcast/vlog. I use it to record scenes to post online. I use it to create Stories on FB/Insta. I communicate with Marco Polo. Iâ€™ve base short films. I use the video featuresâ€¦a lot.
- Bonedatt: I can say for certain that I record at least three times a year, and they are usually on birthdays.
- Adrian: On the weekends when I hike
- My Galaxy Prime: The last time I took a video was literally a year ago.
Thatâ€™s it for this week. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and donâ€™t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below.