Iâ€™ve been thinking a lot about battery degradation lately. With new and exciting quick charge tech coming out every few months, companies are touting super-fast charge times, even on phones with big batteries. But one thing they donâ€™t advertise is how badly some of these quick charge methods degrade your phoneâ€™s battery over time.
Letâ€™s talk about Oppoâ€™s new 125W Flash Charge. Oppo says it can charge your 4,000mAh battery from 0-100% in just 20 minutes. That is insane. However, Oppo also tells us it can â€œmaintainâ€� 80% battery capacity after 800 full charge and discharge cycles at this 125W speed. In theory, upon reaching that 800-cycle mark, your 4,000mAh battery will act more like a 3,200mAh battery. Also insane, but not in a good way.
Thatâ€™s what prompted me last week to ask you about your phone charging habits. Are you an all-night charger? Or do you only charge up your phone when itâ€™s getting low? Out of over 1,900 total votes, theÂ Android Authority community seems to be split.
When do you charge your phone?
Coming in first place with 851 votes, 44.72% ofÂ Android Authority readers said they donâ€™t have a set routine for charging their phones. You can see many of these comments below â€” a lot of people charge their phones when they get down to a certain percentage, or simply when itâ€™s convenient.
A lot of you are still charging your phone all night, every night. 35.16% of voters plug their phones in before they go to bed. If youâ€™re one of those people and are concerned about battery degradation, Iâ€™d urge you to read Robâ€™s explainer on the subject here. Itâ€™s very informative!
Nearly 15% of voters said they only charge their phone when itâ€™s nearly out of battery, while a measly 0.32% only charge their phone when it completely shuts off.
Hereâ€™s what you had to say
Here are some of the best comments from last weekâ€™s poll explaining why they voted the way that they did:
- Djanta: I charge my phone when the battery gets to 20% and I try my best to not let it get over 90%.
Iâ€™ve adopted that routine ever since I got my Mate 10 Pro two years ago and I always get 6-7 hours of Screen-On Time with Mobile Data always on.
- Dylans Ong: I charge my phone before I sleep.make she itâ€™s 100%.
When I wake up, I charge it to 100% before I go to work.
- Aasif Jawaid: I try to keep battery between 50-80% no matter how many times I have to charge the device.
- Tim Dodd: I top up to 80% whenever itâ€™s convenient and seldom let it drop below 20%. I will only very rarely run it till empty or fill it full other than to recalibrate the battery management every couple of months or so. I take the same approach to my Garmin Fenix watches and, where the technology allows, my laptops and tablets.Also, I have disabled fast charging and I do not use wireless charging. Todayâ€™s phones (S10+ 1TB for me) are too expensive and too powerful to just throw on the scrap heap prematurely due to bad or lazy charging practices. If I had an EV (my next vehicle) Iâ€™d treat it the same way.
- anirudh: I will charge in the morning when I wake up, It will charge max 80 -100 when my stuff completed and goto work
- Jason Chu: Morning when I wake up. Takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes when I have about 20% to 30% (at about 15% no more than 2 hours. I can go about 48 hours in between charging. Samsung s9 about 20 months old.
- White Razor: Overnight, every night. Itâ€™s awful, but I donâ€™t want to think about it during the day.Pixel 2 XL; never had an issue with the battery thankfully. I think for the most part it doesnâ€™t matter what model your phone isâ€¦ you got to be lucky to have minimal issues. I keep seeing mixed thoughts about too many models
- Louie Cafarella: I charge my phone to 100% right before I go to bed. Then I unplug it. Then on my way to work I top it off. Start the work day at 100%. I have the S20 Ultra, the battery on this thing is a beast.
- Andrew Zuo: I charge my phone while Iâ€™m using my computer using a USB cable plugged into it. Itâ€™s very slow, but it works. Plus this way I can easily tether because Windows WIFI is terrible. Also my custom ROM has a feature where itâ€™ll automatically stop charging when it reaches 80%.
- mas: Any time during the day. My charging rule is less than 40%- 96%. Redmi k20
Thatâ€™s it for this week. As always, thanks for voting, thanks for the comments, and donâ€™t forget to let us know what you thought of the results below.