- A Korean outlet reports that BOEâ€™s screens failed to pass Samsungâ€™s quality testing.
- Itâ€™s believed that Samsung was eyeing BOE for the Galaxy S30 or Galaxy S21.
- This suggests Samsung is sticking with Samsung Display for 2021.
The Samsung Galaxy flagships usually offer class-leading OLED screens, designed in-house by the Samsung Display arm. But a rumor earlier this year suggested that the brand was considering the use of screens by Chinese firm BOE instead.
Now, South Korean outlet DDaily has reported that panels supplied by BOE failed to pass Samsungâ€™s quality testing. The outlet adds that Samsung was interested in using these screens for next yearâ€™s Galaxy S series (the Samsung Galaxy S21 or Galaxy S30, whatever it ends up being called).
The website notes that panels are usually installed on a phone after they pass quality testing and mass production testing. BOEâ€™s screens failed to clear this first hurdle, but DDaily suggests thereâ€™s still time for the panel to pass testing.
In saying so, display insider Ross Young tweeted that both BOE and screen manufacturer China Star â€œfailed to get into Samsungâ€� and the Galaxy S30 or S21. This sounds like Samsung has clearly rejected an alternative to Samsung Display, but weâ€™ll likely have to wait for a final answer in this regard. Still, it definitely sounds like the Korean brand wasnâ€™t impressed with BOE screens just yet.
Samsung Display is considered the best OLED screen manufacturer right now, with everyone from Apple and OnePlus to Samsung itself using it on their phones. So even if the likes of BOE are offering cheaper prices, the quality bar is clearly set very high for any alternative supplier. Itâ€™s also worth noting that BOE is a big player in its own right, supplying the likes of Huawei, Oppo, and others.
Would you buy a Galaxy flagship with a slightly inferior screen if Samsung passed the savings on to you? Let us know in the comments! Otherwise, you can check out more Samsung coverage below.
- Samsung Galaxy Fold 2: All the juicy rumors so far
- Samsung Galaxy S20 buyerâ€™s guide: What you need to know
- Samsung Galaxy A51 review: Great screen, bad performance
- Best Samsung Galaxy deals: Save up to $500 on Galaxy Z Flip and S20
- Samsungâ€™s new CPU could be a scorcher (but we might never see it)